Stronger than I think
JACK’S MARATHON TEAM: Coach’s Blog
Chi26.2 Week 10 / NYC26.2 Week 7 / Nap26.2 Week 6 (July 13th, 2014)
Chicago team members – we are starting to load on the long run miles. For many of you every week going forward you will set a new personal long run distance. Soak in this accomplishment and let your friends, family and co-workers know each week going forward of your new personal distance record.
Oh yeah – week 10 means you are almost ½ way through your training – can you believe it?
NYC team members – I hope you enjoyed your cut back week.
Naperville team members – it’s your turn to enjoy a “cut back” week. Recall this is important to recharge your body and allow your muscles and bones time to mend and recover from the past stresses you have put on them over the last four weeks.
To those of you who will be running the Rock and Roll Chicago ½ Marathon this coming Sunday, you should adjust your training plan this week (The following strategy will work for any week up coming where you will run a ½ marathon as a training run).
My Recommendations for the week are as follows:
- Remember the ½ marathon race on Sunday will be your Long Run so rest and walk Saturday before the race.
- No fast running this week – skip all Cross-fit workouts after Tuesday or Wednesday.
- Be care of your Thursday work-out – do not overdo it, stick to an easy 4-5 miles.
- Friday you have the option of resting as in the plan or you could do an easy 3 mile run to stay loose.
- Have your big carb-loading meal on Friday evening and get a good sleep Friday (you are not likely going to sleep well Saturday worrying about getting up and to the race on time.
- Eat a light dinner on Saturday (I typically have a large salad with a piece of fish or chicken for protein).
- Organize your race gear and after race clothes and supplies on Saturday so you are completely ready before you wake up Sunday.
- Get up early Sunday and stick to your pre-race nutrition plan
- Have a great race.
For you seasoned and Chicago Marathon runners – remember you can use your ½ marathon finish time to gain access to earlier Corrals for Chicago.
This can help place you better with other runners with similar capabilities to you and help you start sooner on race day. People running the Batavia Peapod ½ marathon in August – you can use your finish time too, but pay attention to the deadline for time submission for Corrals at Chicago. I will try to alert you all again as the deadline approaches.
I am trying to schedule another Team run for this month – trying to see if the weekend of July 26th will work and running along the Chicago lake front or back in Glen Ellyn.
The Naperville Marathon will be holding Race course preview training runs over the next few months. I am looking into which weekends these are so we could run as a group and check out portions of their new course. I will keep you all posted.
TRAINING PLANS 7/13/2014:
Chicago Marathon Week 10 Training Plan.
|Novice||4||6||R or XT||5||Rest||13||R or XT||28|
|Beginner||4||6||R or XT||6||Rest||14-15||R or XT||30-31|
|Intermediate||4||8||R or XT||7||Rest||16||R or XT||35|
NYC Marathon Week 7 Training Plan.
|Novice||4||5||R or XT||5||Rest||10||R or XT||24|
|Beginner||4||6||R or XT||5||Rest||10||R or XT||25|
|Intermediate||4||6-7||R or XT||6||Rest||12||R or XT||24|
Naperville Marathon Week 6 Training Plan.
|Novice||4||5||R or XT||5||Rest||6||R or XT||20|
|Beginner||4||5||R or XT||5||Rest||7||R or XT||21|
|Intermediate||6||6||R or XT||6||Rest||8||R or XT||24|
Recall R or XT refers to a Rest day or Cross-Train for ~30 minutes. This involves Yoga, swimming, weights, cycling stretching etc.
Good luck this week – I think we are in for some cool weather – so enjoy.
Continue working hard – believe in yourself and in your training.